Self confidence is such a tremendous asset. Lack of confidence, however, is a gigantic liability. Successful people are confident. Unsuccessful people are not.
Think of the most successful person you know. Your definition of successful will be different from mine so your person will have achieved success differently than my most successful person.
The success figure you’re thinking of was confident in at least one area of his/her life. Generally, confidence will exude in all aspects of an uberconfident person’s life. However, it can start with one very specific area.
Are people born with a strong sense of self-confidence or is it a learned trait? I think it is learned. Let’s first look at the benefits of being confident and then at the steps to take to become confident.
Your successful person has experienced several benefits from being confident. Some of those benefits are likely as follows:
1. Respect – A confidence person is more likely to be respected by peers and customers. We all like to interact with someone who picks us up rather than brings us down. Someone with a lack of confidence typically will be negative and a downer to be around.
2. Friends – In the same manner as respect, a confident person is likely to have more friends. Whether that person creates close relationships with others will depend on several other character traits. But, she will have more friends in the general sense.
3. Financial success – A confident person is more likely to realize some form of financial success than those with lack of confidence. Confidence can help someone find a high salary career position. It also is the primary driver for entrepreneurs to start businesses.
4. Health – Confident people, from my inspection of people I know, are more likely to be in better health. They exercise more. They eat better. Being fit helps them maintain confidence. Being confident helps them be motivated to exercise more.
5. Style – An in-shape individual will look better in his clothing. The clothes will fit better. If a confident person is financially successful, he can afford better clothes. Better clothes look nicer.
Now that you know some of the benefits of being confident, how do you become confident? People gain confidence as they grow. They pick up things from their environment which can enhance or detract from confidence levels.
The same person, depending on the environment into which she is born, will end up differently. That is not to say that a great environment will result in a confident child. Some of the most successful (and confident) people in history were born into difficult situations.
What steps can you take to increase your confidence? Try the following:
1. Choose to be positive – Reacting negatively to situations will not increase your confidence. React positively to a negative situation, person or idea and you will see positive results. Positive results will create positive thoughts which will create confidence.
2. Get outside your comfort zone – Do you always do the same thing? Read the same types of books, talk to the same people, eat the same foods? Imagine what you are missing by not experiencing different things.
You will expand your outlook on life if you expand your experiences. Also, if you attempt to work on something with which you have little experience, you might amaze yourself at how well you do. That accomplishment will create confidence.
3. Read a good book – If you read either of the following books and are not more confident or more positive, something is seriously wrong with you: The Power of Positive Thinking and How to Win Friends and Influence People (affiliate links).
Books are a great way to expand your mindset and outlook. Read a book about something you know nothing about. How about a biography of a famous person in your industry? It will do you wonders.
4. Pick one thing – We all don’t like at least one thing about ourselves. Pick one thing and change it. Maybe it’s your style of clothing, maybe it’s your health, maybe it’s your job.
Something like your health will not be able to be changed over night. Set a plan for it and start working the plan. Do something. A little something is better than a lot of nothing.
5. Find a partner – Choose an accountability partner for your ride to increasing confidence. Your partner should be a positive person and have a high level of confidence already. A negative person will just get you to give up sooner.
Tell your partner to rebuke you any time you react negatively or are in a bad mood. If you are down, call your accountability partner and talk about it. Don’t gripe or complain. Talk and figure out how to improve.
6. Stay away from negative people – Negative people will bring you down. You want to surround yourself with positive, confident people. It has been said that we are most like the five people we hang around most. Make that be true of you.
Do you want to be more confident? Would it help you in your career? Confidence has helped me tremendously in my career. It will help you too.