Michael Jackson sang the song Man in the Mirror. The evil step-mother queen in Disney’s Snow White asked daily, “Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?” Harry Potter saw his parents “alive” in the Mirror of Erised.
What is this fascination with mirrors in the entertainment industry? Why are mirrors so popular?
Mirrors are one of the most common items in our homes. Each of us look in the mirror at least once a day. Women look in mirrors when they fix their hair and put on their makeup. Most men use a mirror when they shave.
Who do you see when you look in the mirror each day? Do you see the happy person you want to see or do you see a miserable, unhappy person?
Hopefully, the face reflecting in the mirror is exactly who you want to be looking back at you. If it is you, but not the happy you that you want, what do you do about it?
Do you blink your eyes and hope the happy you will appear? No matter how much you blink, the happy you will not appear. You cannot just make him appear. You have to do something to find the happy you that you want.
Here are five actions you can take today to find the happy you.
1. A happy you dreams – You will get excited about your dreams. Remember back to being a child and dreaming of being a princess or a firefighter. You could pretend to live that dream all day long. Do that again.
2. A happy you realizes how good you have it – Most people within the civilized world lead very good lives. While you may be in the lower or middle class in your country, you’re still living much better than many people in other countries. Be happy about your situation.
3. A happy you realizes your bad isn’t so bad – You got questioned about a project at work. So what! You weren’t fired. Your car is five years old. So what! At least you have one that works. Don’t make a mountain out of that proverbial mole hill. Your bad is not that bad.
4. A happy you wakes up happy – How often do you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Do you realize that when you do that, you actually make that choice? You can wake up happy or you can wake up mad. Choose the happy side. Make it a habit.
5. A happy you celebrates small successes – You made it to work today without getting stuck in traffic. Celebrate. In an unusual turn of events, your youngest child woke up before you left for work. She demanded your attention which made you leave five minutes later than you wanted. Celebrate – you got to spend time with your child you normally wouldn’t get.
A happy you is inside you. It’s waiting to stare back at you through that mirror. You just need to give it permission to come out. Stop holding it inside and waiting for the perfect life. That will never come.
Today could be the last day you get. Why spend it being unhappy? Let the happy you be the normal you.
Please share in the comments below some other actions you can do to let the happy you come out and stare at you in the mirror.