Some of the most popular Facebook posts and Pinterest pins are quotes by famous philosophers, coaches or authors. Everyone has at least one quote in them, that if given the chance, could go viral and apply to others’ lives.
To have a little fun and show that you can get inspiration from anywhere, below are 11 quotes from popular movies. These quotes are specifically geared to apply to your career.
See if you can guess the movie from which the quote is taken. The year of the movie and the characters’ names are also provided. Answers are at the bottom of the post.
- “No. Try not. Do…or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda (1980)
We all say, “I’ll try…” too much in our lives. Saying you will try either means you won’t or you don’t believe you can. Just do what you say you will do. If you fail, so be it. Don’t start by thinking you can’t do it though.
- “Like I always tell my clients – begin each day as if it were on purpose.” – Alex Hitchens (2005)
Wake up each day with a plan in mind of what you want to accomplish. More than just a plan, also have a purpose. Once you figure out why you are here, your days will be filled with purpose and intention.
- “Oh, but you can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.” – Dennis (1975)
This quote is for anyone in a leadership capacity. Titles are given. Respect is earned. Treat others with respect and not just as a subordinate.
- “You’ll never have that kind of relationship in a world where you’re afraid to take the first step because all you see is every negative thing 10 miles down the road.” – Sean (1997)
You’ve got to get out of your comfort zone. Stop saying, “What if…” and just take that first step. You will accomplish nothing in your career by just wishing for it. You need to take action to make your dream come true.
- “First learn to use [taps William’s forehead] this. Then, I’ll teach you to use [lifts the sword] this.” – Argyle Wallace (1997)
You’ve heard the phrase “Work smarter; not harder.” That’s what this quote is about. Think about what you are doing before doing it and determine if there is an easier but equally effective way to do it.
- “I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.” – Ellis Redding (1994)
Have a vision of your future. Know what you’re working toward. The hope of achieving that dream will keep you motivated to keep working for it.
- “Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.” – Bud Fox (1987)
Life does come down to a few moments doesn’t it. Hopefully you live each day with purpose and joy but there will be only a handful of moments on which you think, “This is the best moment in my life.” The moral here is…don’t work so much. Enjoy the other parts of your life and experience these moments.
- “I’m a combat pilot, Will. I belong in the air.” – President Thomas Whitmore (1996)
Sometimes we are made to do one thing. The sooner you realize what your true calling is, the better. Don’t fight it. Live it.
- “Why can’t they just say, ‘go to this place, here’s the treasure, spend it wisely’?” – Riley Poole (2004)
There is no treasure map for success. It is a puzzle to put together. You need to find the clues, find out what they mean and piece them all together. Success is not easy. It takes hard work, determination and a little bit of luck.
- “I’m not left-handed either.” – Man in Black (1987)
Things are not always as they seem. Inigo Montoya thought the Man in Black was left-handed during the sword fight. He lost his advantage when the Man in Black confessed to being right-handed. People you encounter in your career will not always be what they seem. Do not be overly trusting until that trust is learned.
- “Are you sure? ‘Cause,you just went through a wall.” – Drycoff (2000)
The policeman to whom Drycoff was talking had just said he was okay. You say you’re okay when you’re not as well. You need help but you won’t admit it. Be truthful in all you do.
Did you know the movies to which each of these quotes belong? If not, they are below:
- The Empire Strikes Back
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Goodwill Hunting
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Wall Street
- Independence Day
- National Treasure
- The Princess Bride
- Gone in Sixty Seconds
Will you apply the lessons learned from these movie quotes to your career? Add other career-related business quotes to the comments below.
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.