Each Spring, you identify items in your house you haven’t used in the last year and items you know you will no longer use. Some items, like clothes or furniture, you might try to give away. Other items, you will just throw away.
This annual ritual is called Spring Cleaning. The purpose of the exercise is to unclutter your home. Instead of uncluttering, you likely replace those items with new items. Now the clutter is shiny…but it’s still clutter.
Instead of spring cleaning your home (or maybe in addition to it), have you tried spring your life of negative thoughts. Here is a list of 27 negative thoughts, feelings or practices you should get rid of through the spring cleaning process:
1. Blaming others instead of accepting responsibility
2. Having a bad attitude
3. Talking bad about your boss
4. Talking bad about your co-workers
5. Talking bad about your employer, i.e., Company
6. Being distracted by your phone, tablet, etc.
7. Saying negative things on social media
8. Being late to work, even five minutes
9. Eating at your desk (breakfast, lunch or dinner)
10. Making excuses
11. Waiting to be asked to help
12. Straddling the fence (on anything)
13. Not asking what you need to do to advance
14. Working too much
15. Talking about your badge of honor
16. Keeping your email open
17. Not letting calls go to voicemail when you’re busy
18. Treating everything as an emergency
19. Taking too few breaks
20. Being mean to co-workers
21. Being disrespectful to co-workers or subordinates
22. Being impatient
23. Expecting everyone to be like you
24. Telling but not teaching
25. Participating in gossip
27. Working as a means of escape
Twenty-seven negative thoughts or practices makes a pretty good list but it’s not all-inclusive. I’ve been guilty of having each of these negative thoughts and I’m focusing on changing my negative thoughts and practices. My attitude is so much better when I stop participating in these bad actions.
If you go through this spring cleaning process for your career, you will recognize your life is so much uncluttered. The good thing about uncluttering your mind of negative thoughts and emotions is that it frees up space for positive thoughts and emotions.
Wouldn’t your day and the days of everyone you meet be so much better if you turned all 27 negative thoughts and practices around? There is a positive thought or action to replace each of these negative thoughts and actions.
Now, roll up your sleeves and start spring cleaning!