Work can be stressful! You wake up early, battle traffic for a longer than needed commute, work all morning breaking only for more coffee. Lunch is taken at your desk while you continue to work.
After working all afternoon and part of the evening, you finally head home. If you’re lucky enough to not have to work until 7 or 8 p.m., you battle rush hour back home. You say hi to your family, eat alone because your family has already eaten and then you get ready for bed.
Nothing was even said of the additional responsibilities you were given during the day at work, the questions you had to answer about your last expense report and your best friend at work just resigned.
Did I mention that work can be stressful?
Well, my job is nothing like that. I hope yours isn’t either. If you let it, your job could easily turn into a nightmare.
It is up to you to keep work from becoming the cause of so much stress. Yes, I said it. You’re in control.
If you want to live a happy and healthy life, you have to take control of it. People who feel empowered to control their own lives, are often more respected. How can you empower yourself, earn respect of peers and bosses and keep work from being so stressful?
Work can be stressful but if you take these actions, you’ll keep that stress level to a minimum.
1. Realize stress is not bad – You read it correctly; stress is not a bad thing. You think you want to be free of stress but you are wrong. Growth cannot occur without stress. Work can be stressful but stress can be a wonderful motivator. Use stress to accomplish your goals rather than an excuse for not achieving them.
2. Focus on the enjoyable parts of your job – Even if you say you hate your job, there has been something at some point that you have enjoyed. You have a good friend at work with whom you enjoy talking. You enjoy the challenge of certain assignments. You like the paycheck. There is at least one thing you like. Figure that out and think about it all the time.
3. Laugh a little – Several times in the past couple of weeks, I’ve told clients and my co-workers, “It’s not worth working if you can’t have fun doing it.” A great way to do that is to laugh more frequently. Be productive but tell stories and have some fun. Laugh with each other.
4. Be healthy – It’s hard to be productive at work and enjoy the business of each day if you feel terrible. Most people take drastic measures when they decide to become healthy. That resolution usually does not last long. So, to be healthy, take small steps. Change one thing at a time. Change out one soda for a glass of water per day. Then, increase to two. You’ll be much more successful with change if you take it one step at a time.
5. Ask for help – How often do you sit and try to figure out how to do something but can’t? Work can be stressful enough when you know what you’re doing. If you have a project to complete and you’re unsure how to complete it, ask for help. Maybe you have a question and with 15 minutes of research you could discover it. That’s 15 minutes wasted if you could get the answer in two minutes by asking a co-worker. Asking for help is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness.
You work put your heart and soul into your career. That’s hard enough to do with all the distractions life brings your way. The five suggestions above are easy to implement and can help you from getting too stressed. Work can be stressful but you can beat that stress and enjoy each day. Are you willing to try?